The aqua natal class is a great start to gentle exercise in pregnancy, you can come from 12 weeks onwards. The class is 45 mins in the pool, exercises specifically for pregnancy followed by coffee and chat session . At the chat session some weeks there will be a topic, some weeks questions and worries and other weeks mums come in a chat re their birth experiences .The chat session is midwife led. Please note…You are entitled to time off work to attend ante natal midwife checks, parent education , aqua natal and relaxation classes whilst pregnant. Bring a bottle of water to the poolside to keep you hydrated
Benefits of exercise in pregnancy:
- Improved Sleep
- Decrease in normal pregnancy oedema( swelling)
- Improved circulation
- Decrease stress
- Improve posture and balance
- Increase body awareness and confidence
- Lots of fun
- Meet other pregnant mothers
- Increase in endorphin production (the feel good hormone)
- Improved self esteem
- Decrease in emergency c-section in spontaneous labour at term (Bungum et al 2000)
It is advisable to avoid aqua natal if you have any the following:
- Bleeding in pregnancy
- Low lying placenta
- High blood pressure (over 140/90)
- Recent Tattoo/piercing (in last 8 weeks)
- Oligohydramnios / Polyhydramnios (too little or too much water around your baby)
- Small for dates baby
- Waters have broken
- Threatened premature labour
- It is not necessary to be able to swim. Please arrive 10 mins before the class starts to discuss with me if you have any concerns.
Do you want to get fit while exercising with your baby? This fantastic new aquacise programme does just that. For 30 minutes, you will get a great workout that is ideal for new mums as the water supports the joints, which may be under pressure from pregnancy weight gain and provides resistance training.
Aqua aerobics is a tried and tested method of getting the blood pumping, toning the body and aiding weight loss. This aqua aerobics class will be a mixture of different aquatic exercises suitable for the postnatal mum. It will vary between cardio workouts and aqua aerobics.
This aqua postnatal class is a great way to start exercising after giving birth. It is designed to help improve mum’s fitness and to introduce your baby to the water,it is a great way to start exercising again after a baby and share the fun with your new baby.
This is a drop in class held at Roko Gym, 442 Copnor Rd Portsmouth .PO3 5EW. £5 for mum and baby .Babies up to 1 year old.
You can attend from 6 weeks post vaginal birth and 10 weeks post caesarean section once you have had your GP check up.Please ensure babies are over 9lb healthy babies and are wearing a swim nappy .Pool temp is usually 31 degrees.
Thu 09.45-10.15 .Please try and be at the poolside with your baby 5 mins before the class starts .There is plenty of free parking and a cafe on site .