Pregnancy Aqua Fit
Thu 10.30 am-11.15 pm in the pool followed by chat in the lounge untill 12.15pm.
Roko Health Club , Copnor rd , Portsmouth. £5.50 Pay at reception
This midwife led aqua natal class is a great start to gentle exercise in pregnancy, you can come from 12 weeks onwards. The class is 45 mins in the pool, exercises specifically for pregnancy followed by coffee and chat session . At the chat session some weeks there will be a topic, some weeks questions and worries and other weeks mums come in a chat re their birth experiences .The chat session is midwife led. Please note…You are entitled to time off work to attend ante natal midwife checks, parent education , aqua natal and relaxation classes whilst pregnant.This is a drop in class, no need to book and non members welcome on this morning. Bring a bottle of water to the poolside to keep you hydrated.Aqua natal does not have to be booked.
Benefits of Exercise in Pregnancy:
- Improved Sleep
- Decrease in normal pregnancy oedema( swelling)
- Improved circulation
- Decrease stress
- Improve posture and balance
- Increase body awareness and confidence
- Lots of fun
- Meet other pregnant mothers
- Increase in endorphin production (the feel good hormone)
- Improved self esteem
- Decrease in emergency c-section in spontaneous labour at term (Bungum et al 2000)
It is advisable to avoid aqua natal if you have any the following:
- Bleeding in pregnancy
- Low lying placenta
- High blood pressure (over 140/90)
- Recent Tattoo/piercing (in last 8 weeks)
- Oligohydramnios / Polyhydramnios (too little or too much water around your baby)
- Small for dates baby
- Waters have broken
- Threatened premature labour
- It is not necessary to be able to swim. Please arrive 10 mins before the class starts to discuss with me if you have any concerns.
If you are looking for information on a pregnancy related service that isn’t listed here please contact us via the form below.