Touch is your newborn’s first language – the baby’s prime means of communication and plays an essential role in the forming of the early parent – child relationship. Massaging your baby allows you to express emotional affection and to fulfil your baby’s need for physical contact. The benefits of massage are both, emotional and physical, so your baby will achieve all-round well-being.Babies can attend from 6 weeks until crawling away .On the last week Nicola Muir baby photographer will attend the class to photograph you with your baby.Classes are with Julie Whitehead or Claire Wells.No refunds if cancelled less than 48 hrs
- Introduces a unique level of confidence and trust to your relationship
- Massage brings mothers and fathers more in touch with their babies – giving them the opportunity to strengthen their relationship and learn how to handle their babies with confidence
- Regular massage reduces the circulation of cortisol in the bloodstream, a stress hormone, this reduction is constant and maintained between massage sessions
- Helps release endorphins – which subdue pain, this brings a feeling of well being throughout your baby’s body
- Helps digestion
- Stimulates neurological development
- Improves immune system
- Improves circulation
- Aids bonding and attachment
- Helps relieve wind, colic and constipation
- Helps release of oxytocin – the nurturing hormone
Newborn Massage 0-8 weeks
Ran by Julie Whitehead.Midwife, lactation Consultant and Newborn Behaviour Specialist
- Especially for the new mother and baby so time can be given for advice and support
- 8 Mothers maximum
- Held in the nursery
- Focusing on:Developing a loving touch, secure holding, and safe tummy time.
Promoting overall good reciprocity to facilitate mother-infant bonding and attachment.
Remedial touch techniques to relieve intra-uterine and difficult birth experience
Holding and stroking techniques prior to massage to relieve physiological flexion and abdominal tension and promoting safe tummy time.
Techniques to release the phrenic nerve and diaphragm and improve respiration.
Developmental Baby Massage 8 week -Crawling
Developmental Baby Massage from 8 weeks to crawling Massage – Techniques and strokes are demonstrated to parents using a teacher’s doll, with emphasis on loving touch, and responding to baby’s cues and communication.
Infant Development – “Nature’s milestones”, joint flexibility, muscular strength and coordination improving circulatory, respiratory rhythms, back strength and overall muscle tone.
Infant Balance and Good Posture
The Enteric (“Baby Brain”) and the Central Nervous Systems. This part of the course demonstrates to parents and practitioners:
Primary preparation for sitting and standing using gravity assisted techniques for stronger structural foundations focusing on the transitions from sitting positions to squatting, crawling, standing and eventually walking.
Family/Dad Baby Massage Morning
This is a relaxed morning learning the joy of baby massage .
Dads will learn the importance of fathers in the family & how to bond with your baby.
Babies welcome from 6 weeks-crawling away but not within 48 hrs of vaccinations.
Mums are welcome to attend or can wait upstairs in the retreat and have a coffee and relax.
Dads will take a handout home and a bottle of oil to massage your baby with.
Mats and oils supplied.
Refreshments provided for mothers
No refunds if cancelled less than 48 hrs
£20 per family